Fluffy, tasty carrot spiced muffins...OH YES!
These are mini renditions of a more whole food take on the classic Carrot Cake. There's even a 3-ingredient frosting to make it that bit more decadent and we love it!
The benefits of carrot
Carrots contain vitamin A generated from beta carotene. They also contain antioxidants and there is evidence that even suggests that eating more antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables can help reduce the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Let's get to the recipe
MACROS Per Serve [including frosting]:
P: 6.8g C: 27.3g F: 7.6g
Serves: 12 | Time: 35 minutes
- 1 ¾ cups wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 medium eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (120g)
- ½ reduced-fat plain Greek yoghurt
- 150g carrot, grated
- 40g sultanas
- ½ cup reduced-fat plain Greek yoghurt
- ½ cup reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced and grease or line 12 cup muffin tray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs, oil, maple syrup, vanilla essence, applesauce and yoghurt. Stir in the flour mixture, grated carrot and sultanas.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the muffin tray. Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Method for Frosting:
- Combine the yoghurt, cream cheese and maple syrup in a bowl until smooth.
Your finished product should be moist and light, and perfect on its own or topped with our 3-ingredient frosting! Make them, come back and let us know what you think!
Don't forget to tag us in your recreations on Instagram @thebod_ #THEBODRestart