Target Area: Lower Body
Equipment: Barbell, Weight Collars, Weight Plates
- Position the bar over the midline of your feet and position your feet approximately double shoulder width apart, with your toes pointing outwards.
- Hinge at your hips and set your waist backwards, then reach down and grip the bar within shoulder width distance. Ensure your hips are approximately level with your knees.
- Your back should be straight and your shoulder blades set back and downwards, creating tightness through your back.
- Take the slack out of the bar by slightly lowering your hips and contracting your back muscles.
- Engage your core and hold this position, ready to perform the exercise.
- Drive your feet into the ground and pull the bar up to your waistline. Ensure you are explosive throughout the pulling movement of the exercise. Ensure you keep the bar close to your body throughout the exercise.
- Lock your hips at the top of the movement by contracting your buttocks. Lower the bar to the starting position and reset your posture for the next repetition.
Increase the weight on the bar or number of repetitions.
Decrease the weight on the bar or number of repetitions.