We understand that not everyone can make it to the gym, or requires switching between gym and home workouts to suit their lifestyle.
Although home workouts may be limiting in terms of access to certain equipment - a well put together home program can still provide you with effective and long lasting results.
↓ Here are just a few incredible results from our home programs ↓
Each home program of THE BOD has been curated to target all areas of the body for physical symmetry. It's also been designed with progression, measurable strength gain and lean muscle mass development in mind.
In this article, you will find our top 5 home exercises when limited to equipment. Progress with these for overall body conditioning and improved fitness!
You may notice that each exercise below is similar to, or matches the characteristics of compound movement - an exercise that targets more than one muscle.
Imagine a dumbbell bicep curl, the key muscle being worked throughout the movement is the bicep. Now think of a squat, where not only do you engage your glutes, but also your core, posterior chain, hamstrings and quads. It's a real bang-for-your-buck exercise.
OUR TOP 5 HOME EXERCISES
- Position yourself so that you are lying on a flat surface or bench. Ensure you drive your feet firmly into the ground, draw your shoulder blades backwards and create a slight arch in your back by shortening the distance between your shoulders and knees.
- Grip the bar outside of shoulder width and press up firmly, allowing the bar to be unracked. Pull the bar over your lower chest ensuring your shoulder blades are contracted.
- Breathing in, lower the bar down to just touch the middle of your chest. Ensure you bend your elbows at approximately 45 degrees away from your torso.
Push the bar back up to the starting position.
The push-up is a killer movement for the upper body. It will target the chest (pecs), shoulders (deltoids), your triceps, core and serratus anterior.
- Begin in a push-up position.
- Lower both your forearms to the ground so that your elbows and fists are flat on the ground. Your palms should be balled up and your shoulders should be parallel to your elbows.
- Curl your toes under and engage your abs by tilting your pelvis and pulling your belly button toward your spine.
- Straighten your body, keeping your neck and spine neutral.
- Flex and engage your core, while squeezing your bottom. These are the two major muscle groups you’ll be working out in this exercise.
- Hold this position until after the burning begins, ensuring you always maintain your technique throughout. Keep your eyes on the floor in front of you. Avoid raising your behind. Your body should make a straight line from your heels to the back of your head.
The plank will target the major muscle groups of your core and engage your glutes. A strengthened core will not only assist you in executing other exercises with better technique, but also assist you in day-to-day activities.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart in a comfortable stance, with your hands out in front of you or at your sides for stability.
- Hinge at your hips, then knees as if you were going to sit in a chair.
- Go as low as you can without placing any pressure on your joints, but instead focus on your muscle contractions.
- Straighten your legs back up to return to a standing position.
The squat will strengthen and condition your glutes, quads, hamstrings and calves. It strengthens your core and will assist in muscle building all over the body.
- Rest your upper back and shoulders on a bench.
- Position your feet so that your heels are close to your buttocks.
- Drive your hips upwards by pressing your feet firmly to the floor and squeezing your buttocks at the top of the exercise (while avoiding overextending).
- Gradually lower back to the starting position, ensuring that you maintain tension through your glute muscles.
The hip thrust will create a lot of isolation for the glutes while recruiting some quad and hamstring. This makes it an extremely effective exercise for those looking to strengthen and build their booty!