The best way to stay motivated and continue kicking butt is to keep track of your fitness results and achievements. This insightful check-in helps show how far you’ve come and where you’re going. Just like the amazing babes before you, everyone is unique in their own way, and there isn’t a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach to how you track your progress.
We recommend any of the following ways - depending on what’s right for you in your journey. After all, you’re YOU babe, and that’s your superpower.
‘Photos?!’, we can hear you say in disgust, ‘you’re kidding?’ Instead of avoiding the camera, we want you to embrace it. Hear us out. Taking selfies can be one of the most accurate ways to see your progress (if done correctly). That’s because the scales can be your best and worst friend depending on varying factors, such as your body composition (e.g when fat becomes muscle), or even around that time of the month. Seeing visual progress in photos is excellent for your mindset and without it, it’s easy to lose motivation.
Here are some tips for taking progress photos the right way to ensure your results are accurate:
- Ensure you take the “before” photo before starting the program. This photo will be the hardest but remember that this is just for your eyes only if that’s what you want. Also, this photo is going to serve as an amazing reminder of how far you’ve come.
- Set reminders! Put a calendar reminder on your phone every 4 weeks to take a progress pic. Always do it at a consistent time and day so your results will be as accurate as possible.
- Keep them consistent. Always get in the same position, in front of the same mirror, in the same lighting, at the same time of the day, wearing the same clothes. It sounds like overkill but trust, this is the best way to track progress.
- Make it a full-length body shot - no exceptions! We know the thought of this might make you nervous, but it’s so important to see every part of that beautiful bod, gurl. Keep the camera at the same distance away each time and don’t pose or hide behind cute gestures, it’s important to see you as you are.
Weighing yourself is a great indicator of your progress, however, as mentioned before, scales can easily show fluctuations that can knock you off the motivation train if you’re not careful. If scales are going to be your tracking buddy, consider the following information and remember, at the end of the day, results are so much more than a number on the scales.
- Weigh yourself first thing in the morning, before you’ve had anything to drink and after you’ve gone to the bathroom.
- Your weight will fluctuate throughout the week - or throughout your cycle.
- Remember, the scales weigh everything - fat, muscle and fluids. Gains doesn’t necessarily mean increased fat, it could be down to hormone changes, muscle gain, or even fluid intake. Always remember weight loss is not linear!
Measurements can be a great way of tracking your progress and keeping that motivation up. You’ll need someone to help you wield the tape measure to get an accurate number.
Other tips to follow are:
- Do not pull the tape measure too tight. It should be held firmly in place, flush against the skin. Remember, results are only results if they’re accurate.
- The waist measurement should be taken at the height of your elbow crease.
- The stomach measurement should be taken at the belly button level.
- And again, ensure measurements are done in the same positions each time.
This is one of the best ways to build healthy, sustainable habits and stay determined to reach your goals. Write down your progress each week - which workouts you’ve completed, your meal prep list, and how you’re feeling within yourself. This creates the beautiful habit of checking in with yourself and making your health, both physical and mental, a priority.
THE BOD Workout Bestie is the ultimate go-to when needing to stay accountable. With sections to record your goals, daily food and exercise, progress and measurements, and even your sleep and mental wellness habits, you’ll be crushing your goals in no time. She’s designed to be by your side every step of the way. Take her to the gym, tell her all your secrets, goals, and desires, and she’ll help you achieve your health and fitness dreams. Your new bestie will help you stay on track, hold you accountable to your goals, and keep you positive as you push through the seemingly never-ending push-ups and burpees.
You got this, girl!
We’d love to see your fitness progress! Tag us on Instagram using the hashtags #thebodresults or join THE BOD Facebook Support Group!