Target Area: Lower Body
Equipment: 1 x Dumbbell
- Sitting on the floor, position the dumbbell across your hips and above the pelvis comfortably. You can use a cushion or towel to make this more comfortable, especially as you increase the weight being lifted.
- Lie on your back with your legs bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Position your feet so that your heels are close to your buttocks.
- Drive your hips upwards by pressing your feet firmly to the floor and squeezing your buttocks at the top of the exercise (while avoiding overextending).
- Gradually lower the dumbbell back to the starting position, ensuring that you maintain tension through your glute muscles.
Increase the weight being used, or perform the exercise after you have already worked your hamstrings and glutes. Exercises like deadlifts, squats, lunges are great to perform before hip thrusts.
Master a Glute Bridge first