Do you ever feel yourself reaching for a quick snack mid-afternoon and then feel instant guilt? You’re not alone, sis. Snacks often get a bad rep for being ‘naughty’. But - and this is a big but - you have to remember not all snacks are created equal and there's no room for any guilt here, sis.
Snacks are a great way to keep your energy levels up throughout the day, improve your productivity, keep you mentally sharp, and help you keep on track with your health and fitness goals. The important thing to remember when you’re feeling peckish is to make smart choices when it comes to snacks.
Grabbing a sugar-loaded treat from the cupboard may seem like the easiest option, however it’s probably going to make you feel worse in the long run. Pastries, chips, and chocolates are often made up of simple carbohydrates which are low in fibre and nutrients, and have a higher glycemic index. You may get a short burst of energy after you eat your treat, but you’ll soon feel tired as these simple carbs only provide a short-lasting source of energy. Try to avoid high and refined sugar sources of simple carbs and dig into healthy alternatives instead (containing complex carbs) to satisfy those sweet cravings and keep you feeling energised (and fuller!) for longer. Need some inspiration? Try whipping up our Raw Coconut & Cranberry Bars from THE BOD app and THE BOD Fuel recipe book - recipe below!
Made with whole food ingredients (and no nasties!), you’ll feel no guilt here!
Ready to tuck in?
RAW COCONUT & CRANBERRY BARS
PREP TIME: 25 minutes (+ refrigeration)
What You Need:
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal
- 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut
- 1⁄3 cup (55g) white chia seeds
- 1 cup (240g) coconut oil, melted
- 1⁄3 cup (115g) honey
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (150g) sunflower seeds
- 1 cup (120g) pecans, chopped finely (see Tip)
- 1 cup (200g) pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
- 1⁄2 cup (75g) dried cranberries
- 8 fresh dates (180g), pitted, chopped finely
How To Make:
- Grease a 20cm x 30cm slice pan; line base and sides with baking paper, extending the paper 5cm over edges.
- Combine almond meal, desiccated coconut and chia seeds in a medium bowl. Add half the coconut oil and 1⁄4 cup of the honey; mix well to combine. Press the almond mixture firmly into the pan and level the top.
- Place oats, sunflower seeds, pecans, pepitas, cranberries and dates in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times until coarsely chopped; tip into a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining coconut oil and honey; mix well to combine. Place fruit mixture over almond mixture and press down very firmly.
- Cover; refrigerate for 4 hours or until chilled and firm. Cut into 36 bars.
TOP TIP: It is important to finely chop the pecans and dates to ensure that the topping ingredients hold together.
Meal Prep: Bars will keep, covered, in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Nutritional count per bar:
17.9g total fat (8.5g sat fat) 902kJ (215 cal) 8.4g carbohydrate 4.6g protein 3.1g fibre
What's your favourite healthy snack, sis? Let us know in the comments below!