If you haven’t been feeling your healthiest self recently, it may be time to implement some new habits into your life. Small, simple actions can lead to instrumental changes in improving your health, fitness and wellbeing.
Here are a few healthy eating habits that may help you give you a boost:
Drink more water
Staying hydrated is crucial. Water is the number one necessity in our diets - without it, we simply cannot survive! If you struggle to remember to drink water regularly, carry a water bottle with you and set an alarm that goes off throughout the day - from there your body clock will turn drinking H20 into a habit!
You can also make a point of drinking a glass with every meal. If you aren't a fan of the taste, combine your water with fruit and vegetables like berries, lemon, lime and cucumber for a refreshing flavour.
How much water should you be drinking? For every 25kg of total body weight you should consume 1L of fluid.
Have healthy snacks ready
If you’re training regularly, you may find that you get hungry more often. Instead of eyeballing the nearest sugary snack, try a handful of nuts, a piece of fruit or even make your own healthy snacks.
Another tip is to always keep your fruit bowl visible and full with a variety of fruits so you have always have a healthy pick-me-up ready if you're on the run.
Add a side salad or extra veggies
Are you getting your five servings of vegetables a day? Boost your nutrient intake easily by adding a simple side salad to your lunch or dinner, or if you’re out at a restaurant try ordering an extra side of veggies.
Don’t skip breakfast
By skipping breakfast, you can throw your body off rhythm. Your blood sugar is a lot lower when you wake up and having breakfast helps replenish those sugar levels and get you energised and alert for the day ahead. Pack more vitamins and nutrients into your body with a hearty, nourishing breaky such as Cinnamon Nutola, or Sweet Potato & Carrot Avocado Toast.
Plan your meals in advance
Planning your meals for the week ahead is a great way to save time and money. It’ll also help you to cook healthier meals for your family and say goodbye to last-minute meal ideas which, let’s face it, can be recipes for disaster! Knowing what you'll be eating throughout the week helps keep you on track with your fitness goals, too! With everything planned and written down, you're less likely to choose unhealthy snack options.
If you don't know where to begin when it comes to meal planning, THE BOD Nutrition & Training programs include 6-week meal plans designed to work alongside your training regime.
Try new recipes
Cooking the same meals over and over again can become a little boring. Try to make at least one new recipe each week - not only will it help you discover new foods that you may love, but it’s fun and will help you add a little more variety to your everyday.
Prep your meals
New to meal prepping? Or just lost your meal-prep mojo? Try these hacks to get back on track and have you working that kitchen like a boss…
- Portion, prepare and pack as you unpack your groceries
- Measure out your veggies, pop them in bags or containers and they’ll be ready to grab when it’s time to cook. Or if you’re buying meat in bulk, weigh and portion into servings before freezing.
- Freeze in single serves
- Cook a bulk meal like our Eggplant and Chicken Lasagne then cut into individual serves and freeze so you can defrost, heat and eat in minutes.
- Smoothie bags make breakfast a breeze
- When you’re unpacking your groceries, chop and pack apple, spinach, cucumber, ginger and pineapple - or fruits and veg of your choice - into ziplock bags and freeze. Next morning, throw a glass of water and a smoothie bag into the blender, blitz and you’ve got a glass full of micronutrients in minutes.
- Cook once, eat all week
- Make a bulk base, like our Chilli Con Carne and eat it five different ways all week - stuffed sweet potatoes, wraps, with rice or in a toastie.
For more meal prep tips and tricks, get your FREE Meal Prep Like A Boss guide here.
We'd love to know the healthy habits you're adding to your daily life so let us know in a comment below or reach out to us on Instagram @thebod_