If the threat of COVID-19 has you ditching the gym, or if you’ve got kids at home and can’t escape the house, we’ve got you! This at-home workout proves once and for all you can work just as hard in your loungeroom as you can at the gym. Your abs will be on fire after this core challenge, designed to strengthen your core, build power that transfers to all your lifts (deadlift PR coming up?) and nix poor posture.
So can you really get honed abs at home?
We present, Exhibit A:
And can you really train as hard at home as you can in the gym?
We’ll let you be the judge with Exhibit B, our at-home workout straight from the Core Challenge in THE BOD App. Give this free workout a go and let us know if you’re feelin’ it!
THE BOD HOME WORKOUT - CORE CHALLENGE
Check out this sample day’s session from our 6 Week Core Challenge in THE BOD App.
Complete 3 rounds of 30 reps of each, resting between rounds:
- Start in a push-up position with arms full extended and body in a straight line.
- Quickly bring one hand up to tap your opposite shoulder before replacing on floor. Repeat on the opposite side.
- Sit on the floor with knees and hips bent to 90 degrees so that shins are parallel with ceiling.
- Hold a weight with arms extended to one side.
- Lean back so your torso is at a 45 degree angle and use your abs to twist from one side to the other. When you have twisted the weight both to the left and the right, that’s 1 rep. Keep going.
- Get into plank with feet on a fit ball and hands in a high push-up position. Keep it steady!
- Pull your knees into your chest, crunching your abdominals.
- Slowly release back to full plank, maintaining control through the movement.
No fit ball? Socks on a slippery floor (floorboards or tiles) will achieve the same effect.
Then follow up with 2 rounds of each:
Medicine ball slam
- Hold a medicine ball with feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart.
- Explosively press the ball overhead, then slam it to the floor by driving downward.
- Follow the ball with your body, dropping to a low squat to scoop the ball up on the first bounce.
- Extend up, press overhead again and repeat.
- Complete 30 reps.
- Lie face-up on an exercise mat, placing your hands under your hips to support your pelvis.
- Raise one leg upwards with your knee almost straight, then raise the other leg slightly off the floor.
- Keeping legs almost straight, switch legs in a scissoring motion. Completing the scissor kick with each leg counts as 1 rep.
- Continue for 20 reps.
Like this style of workout? You'll love our 6 Week Core Challenge, only available in THE BOD App. You’ll get everything you need to carve those abs and strengthen your core - full at-home training program, exercise glossary, meal plan and flexible dieting options. Get the app here.
Already a subscriber? Join our 6 Week Core Challenge and follow the BOD SQUAD on socials. Tag us in your workout @thebod_ #thebod